View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevergrowup View Post
Thanks for the inspiration! Been stuck in a rut lately about what to mod next, and the concern of DOT/E compliance has stopped me from messing with the headlights until now.

But would for instance these:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Harley-Davidson-Sportster-Headlamp/dp/B07SK22Z8H/ref=psdc_8323665011_t3_B018LXCV4U

Fit inside the reflector so adjustment is retained? And they approved as well.
I just ordered a similar light with DRL/Angel Eyes, they should arrive within a week:

It would be best to check with your local vehicle inspection station to make sure that they are compliant. They are not a problem where I am located.

It will take some creativity to mount these. They will fit within the reflector, but the reflector is oval shaped, not perfectly round. With the standard installation, these are held in place with an outer ring rather than being screwed in directly. Someone with some 3D printing skills could make an adapter.

The other possible complication is going to be cooling. With these sealed inside the Boxster headlight, they may overheat without ventilation. The unit itself is sealed and waterproof, so vent holes in the outer case should not be a problem and they can vent to the wheel well.

Size:

Harness: