View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #16
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
So, this is interesting and who thought more could be discussed on this subject, but then again, here we are. :+)
The pelican is the same as factory bearing, but a single-row, yes? I believe we cannot source the double-row bearing (or single row, but why would you?) directly from Porsche, the part number doesnt show in any of my parts drawings.
RND has the single to double-row upgrade for 550 bucks, but only for cars withe the single-row. What is out there for double row replacements at a similar price point? EPS is a strong candidate but seems dependant on oil pump modifications.
The Pelican bearing is a steel single row that they sell with a spacer for use in dual row applications. Think about that for a moment: Take out one of the strongest factory bearings and replace it with the most problematic.

LN has a dual row ceramic hybrid that they designed to work in the single row shaft.

I have never cared for the roller bearing approach for several reasons, one of the biggest it the idea of using a pointed punch to wack a precision opening from the oil pump into the IMS shaft; second, I do not like the idea of purposely running a flooded shaft (the IMS Solution uses a plug pressed in behind the bearing specifically to prevent flooding the shaft. That roller bearing kit also uses a oil pump drive shaft with a grove cut in it to allow the oil to pass, the oil pump drive shaft is already a weak point in these engines, and they are weakening it even more. I like to replace the weak OEM shaft with a chrome moly steel aftermarket part that is way stronger than factory.