Thread: Track alignment
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #79
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Did you inspect the ball joint on the side the bearing was replaced? What did the current shop say about the work they did... their charges... their sloppy diagnosis?

Lets get back your money...
Both sides are the same. both major FAILS.

Here's my thinking:
First, the problem was CAUSED by me. I did the install.
Yes, they should have caught it.
Yes, there's no way you could accurately align that and not fight with the rear toe numbers over and over. (let alone the thrust angle!)
No, I can't definitively demonstrate to them that the bearing was NOT bad, and they might argue that it was in fact bad and that's why it was improved when I picked it up. I'd disagree, and then what?
Did they overcharge me for the bearing? I think so, but I didn't ask them to quote it to me, because I thought we were trying to be fair with each other, so after explaining my hope to them, in good faith I simply told them to do it.

And the other side of this: The owner of the shop is a good person. I haven't brought this situation to his attention because the fair thing to expect of him is to make it right... which would mean going back into their shop. You think they did poor work on it BEFORE I went and "told on them" to the owner? Wait and see how it goes now. I really don't want them NEAR my car. I've ZERO confidence that they'd get it right. Whether because they don't care enough, or aren't experienced enough, or because now they're vindictive; they've demonstrated that they can't get it right.
IF I were going to take it to a shop where they CLEARLY can't get it right, I'd just pull it back into my own garage where the faulty install started to begin with! haha.

And finally: this community is pretty small; even more-so in a small market like Salt Lake City environs. I don't need enemies at the racetrack. I do this for fun, and I'm not going to suck the fun out of it by adding that dynamic to the situation.

But if they care, they WILL notice that I quit tagging them on FB when people are looking for a referral, and that those referral tags are now going somewhere else. But I don't suspect they care that much. a "boycott" is never as satisfying as you want it to be.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote