View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986buzz View Post
Hi all, just wondering if there is any issue installing a 2.5 automatic trans engine into a car with a manual?
Is the only difference the flex plate/flywheel?
Does this swap work with no issues?
I have seen online that the wire harness is different. Is that true?
This is going into a racecar that currently has a 2.7 with manual trans.
You say that the car currently has a 2.7L engine. Have you already addressed the differences between the 2.7L engine and the 2.5L engine? THAT is bigger than the change from the auto to manual. Does the car have an eGas throttle or cable? Which DME/ECU? Which intake set-up will it use?

I have swapped a 1997 2.5L manual engine into a 2001 Tiptronic. I have also swapped a 2001 manual with a 2001 Tiptronic. In addition to what Tom mentioned the vacuum hose for the brake booster on the manual set-up connects to the left front of the engine. It is right rear on the Tiptronic. It's simple to just swap the fittings from one to the other.

Edit: I just back-tracked through your earlier threads. I'm assuming now that the car is an actual '99 and that the 2.7 was set-up to run as a 2.5 as far as intake, DME, and throttle. Hopefully that makes it a pretty simple drop in swap with the harness, flywheel, and a little plumbing as noted.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-02-2020 at 07:05 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote