View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_wheels View Post
appreciate all the answers guys. This forum is truly amazing,

I hope that one day I will be able to return the same good advice you gave me, to another newbie.

After I got plenty of info on the good and bad in owning a boxster
I signed up to the PCA test drive, and they connected me to the top independent Porche mechanic in the area.

I went to visit him, we had a nice chat and he gave me costs for all the big repairs/replacements.

I also asked him to help me find one, so far nothing.

Having so much information on the boxster is a blessing and a curse.
I got some sellers pissed, they just want to dump their cars on the next Porsche enthusiast
w/o participating in the cost of any repair, but since I got educated I know what to look for.

so I decided to also look for cars in other states.
I actually got in-touch with a guy owning 3 Porsche's so I think
he's a real enthusiast which is good, and his car has all the big things fixed.

So now I have to learn how to buy a car in another state,
so have to figure out the best way of doing it remotely.
(ppi is a must, I would not pass on that even with a local seller).

As for DIY, I never did anything, but am a good learner and not afraid of challenges,
if folks can change their oil, brake fluid/pads so can I,
something bigger I go to the expert (if you want to play you have to pay)

so that's it, again, thank you very much and I wish everyone here stay safe and warm in this storm.
If you;re expanding your search...
I've had my eye on this one: (LINK)

We have a member of this forum (pcarferher) who lives basically right there, and probably knows this car. (it's a small town)

But follow that site for a search... it'll net you half-a dozen or so 986 Boxsters.

Now... me, personally? I'm of a different mind-set than many others on this forum. I look at these as I look at any other 20-yr old car..... What condition it's in right now is told through an inspection and a drive.... not from a stack of receipts. I've bought and sold a lot of cars.... the car I bought 3 weeks ago is car # 77 in my life. I've never, ever asked for a maintenance history. And frankly, if anybody ever asked me for one on a car I'm selling, I'd politely snicker at them and go back in the house. My cars are very well maintained, and upgraded usually. And if you can't tell that, then you're not really a serious buyer. And I won't have someone walking around looking for imperfections ON A 20YR OLD CAR, looking for bargaining points..... IT'S A 20 YR OLD CAR..... WORTH LESS THAN $10K!!
That's just me, and I realize on this forum I'm in a minority.... but somebody looking at a sub-$20k used car that's 20 yrs old and will never really appreciate considerably, asking for a maintenance history? or worse: seeking a PPI? Yeah..... I'ma snicker at ya, and then once I'm inside I'll let out a full-blown guffaw.

As for buying out of state: it's pretty easy. My current '03 Boxster S I bought sight-unseen from a dealer across the country, and shipped it here. there's not a ton to it.

Last edited by maytag; 03-18-2020 at 05:35 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote