Thread: Boxter VS 911
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordude View Post
So I have read (almost) everything that I should know about the boxster's before I started to test drive them,

I found a 2004 that seems good (car was serviced at the same shop where I want to maintain the car I will buy,
and owner also did a ppi to the car there before he started selling the car.

While looking for boxsters I also came across a 2002 911 Carrera 4s convertible (996.2) which seems in good condition, owner kept all maintenance invoices.

haven't done a ppi to that one yet.

the 2004 Boxster has 60K miles and the 2002 911 has 110K miles.

I can get them in a very similar price, so am a little confused and would like to ask folks here
who might have owned both to share some of their experience or life wisdom about these.

Thanks !!!
I've driven both, and I think there are two possible reasons you might want the 911 over the boxster.

1) you've always wanted a 911. I can't relate to this, but I presume it's a real thing, because I've heard people say this. But if this were you, I'm not sure why you've been looking for a boxster?

2) you care what other people think about which car you buy. You'll undoubtedly hear from the 911 crowd that the boxster is a hairdresser's car (oddly they still say this after a boxster goes aground them at the racetrack). You'll hear people say, with disappointment in their voice "oh, just a boxster". These are people more interested in the "status" of a car, than how it drives.

If, however, what interests you is the thrill of a mid-engined boxer-motor'ed cabrio at full honk through a corner.... well.... then there's no real consideration any longer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote