Thread: Motor is bad
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
So at my last event, I had the engine stall and start again. Upon driving it easily back to the pits, after a restart - it was smoking (white smoke) quite a bit. It's a 2005 3.6 motor which is an in-between the 996 and 997 (it has the large IMS that the 997 has that can't be removed without splitting the case) although it's listed as a 996.

Got it home, drained the oil and found a strong gas smell in it. Pulled the plugs and all were black but all about the same. Figured I had better pull the intake, and sure enough - ton of oil in each of the plenums as well as the throttle body. So I replaced the AOS (it has a Motorsport AOS).

After it was reassembled, I did a compression check. While all the cylinders read pretty damn high (230-245 psi) one read 95-100 on two tests - inner cylinder on the drivers side. So I put it all back together with new plugs and fired it up. Starts and runs fine and no more large amounts of white smoke - although there was a bit of white smoke from the bank with the low compression.

While I haven't done a leak down test - or checked the bore with a scope - something is obviously wrong with the one cylinder.

So - at this point I'm pretty much thinking finding a used engine. There are quite a few 997.1 3.8's out there, but not sure if they would bolt up to the trans or not. Anyone know? Also - not sure how much difference there is between them - and I would also assume the 3.8 doesn't have a dipstick etc.

Any info would be helpful.
Ummm.... sell me the one you've got?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote