View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box7774 View Post
... I have no idea what is in the car right now......can I assume that the left over oil in the car will mix ok with the new full synthetic that I choose? ...
The residual oil left in the engine by a normal oil change will be fine mixing with the new oil. If you do top it off again later, you should use the same oil that you used in the oil change.

At 158k miles with no warranty concerns, Mixing brand "X" with brand "Y" to top it off should even be okay if you have to, but try to avoid mixing different oil grades beyond what was left behind when you changed the oil.

There's still a lot to be gained by reading some of the old "What is the best oil" threads. Informative and entertaining.

I have a few 986 Boxsters and have used Castrol Edge 10W-40, M1 0w-40 & 10W-40, and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Some companies change their additive formulation regularly without notice. Some companies all dip from the same general supplier's vat and put their label on it. I try not to stress myself over the choice.

...and if you love your car, really love it, flush the engine and use nothing but Joe Gibbs 'Driven' DT40. It actually is the best, but at 158k miles ...meh.