Thread: garage flooring
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
Black Knight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
1st thing I do when I buy a new garage is paint the floor with Rustoleum Tan Epoxy paint. Follow the instructions & never had a problem, no peeling. If a bolt hits the floor it's easy to see.
I did this too and after many hours researching (Garage Journal Forum is a great place to go for this - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I ended up with the Rustoleum kit, and ordered from my local 'big box' hardware store, but special ordered the 'professional series' kit instead of the standard one. It is solvent based instead of water based and is a bit thicker and tougher. I did two coats, waiting the required time in between and then finished with a clear coat as well. It has held up perfectly over 6 years. The biggest thing (like any painting project) was the prep work. I rented a diamond floor sanding machine from HD as I did not want to use a chemical or acid wash for two reasons. First my driveway is also painted (by previous home owner) and second I wanted to keep the garage concrete dry so that I would not have to wait additional days for it to dry out. That is critical for any coating- the surface must be dry. You can do a quick test by taping some clear visquine or thick clear plastic over a 1'X 1' section of your floor and if any moisture comes up over a 24 hour period you need to continue to let it dry.
Anyway, I was happy with my results and proved to myself that you can get a quality finish with 'home based' products from a do it yourself store, if you do good prep and maybe spend a few extra dollars on the higher grade coatings. Good luck with yours.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote