View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Box7774

Noob here!!! 2001 Box....new to me...lots of questions

Hello all....I am a noob here on this forum yet very familiar with the forum world with my other interests.
I just purchased via ebay a 2001 Boxster with 158k on it. It was owned by a Porsche mechanic which gave me some confidence to buy it with high mileage. Many of the common issues have already been repaired or replaced. I watched many youtube vids before buying so i would know what to look for. I dont want to make this too long.....let me just take baby steps and get some help with my current issues.

1. where can I find a cheap shift knob and boot replacement? There is no shift pattern sticker on my knob and it just looks faded.
2. When I start my car....say 6 out of 10 times it will start with a loud squeal. Where should I start...how can I diagnose? Is it most likely the starter....a drive belt....alternator?
3. The battery did have a low charge when I got it......I am battling the lights and switches to figure out how they work and what they do. My pass side door light seems to come on or go off when ever it wants. Anyone else have that issue? The drivers side door light is burnt out will fix soon. The dash lights do stay on after I turn off the car unless I lock it. The key switch has been replaced. What is the purpose of the lock button on the dash?
4. Does anyone know where I can get the tail light marker light part number...meaning the tiny little bulb....I removed both sides and learned the set up......but need a part number that would work at an auto parts store. In addition to that rear light question....I appear to have 1 bulb per side that does not come on during any function.....I had my wife pull out the headlight switch and finally saw the mystery bulb come on but only on one tail light.....is this an extra by any chance?
5. Can anyone explain or show me a diagram of how the headlight switch works? Obviously I have figured out the basics.....but what does pulling out the knob do? And there is a light to the left of the switch that makes me really want to move the headlight switch further to the left but it stops prior.

wooops........I asked way too many questions on round 1.....sorry.....Just skim it and help if u can......thanks!!!!!
Box7774 is offline   Reply With Quote