View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The problem is that there are far too many other variables that you can't keep constant in order to say that the spark plug change was the cause for such a small change in temp as shown on the gauge cluster. Even if you had Durametric data, there are still far too many variables in play.

That is why people are saying "placebo" - they don't mean that you're not seeing a difference on the temp gauge, instead they are saying that it is highly likely NOT the spark plugs and much more likely one or more other variables that can affect the reported coolant temp.
What other variables could be involved? I changed the plugs, the temp went down slightly, yet it's much warmer outside now.

Did my thermostat decide to stick open or partially open at the same time I changed my plugs?

I've been thinking about getting one of those lower temp thermostats for years. I've heard pros and cons of running the lower temp stat. I'm not even going to think about it now that my car is at the temp where it should be at.