View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
maytag
Who's askin'?

Thanks, everyone, for your kind condolences. I wanted to share what I was thinking, and I appreciate that y'all welcomed that.
Also, my own condolences to those of you who have felt this same loss, or who can see it approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Sorry for your loss Maytag! I have an 88 year old step father, veteran of Korean War, and Vietnam. He is a great man, but he is starting to have terrible memory problems which is said because I wanted him to give advice to my sons!
My wife is his youngest child; he was nearly 50 yrs old when she was born. She and I have taken-on the .... (honor? task? duty? challenge?) business of documenting his life. We have many, many hours of him telling stories with various recording devices rolling. We're transcribing those stories. We've also got his own attempt at writing his memoirs that we're working with. And I'm working on his family history as well. I'm convinced the truth is better than any Hollywood fiction. But the thing that keeps me going on it, is the value I think his story carries for my own children. Like you, Cunningr, I would prefer he had remained around to advise my kids with me. But this will have to do.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote