View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I know the 2005 was a transition year from the Gen 2 to the Gen 3 IMSB. I also know that there is no way to know for sure which IMSB is in the car without dropping the trany. And I also know that you can't tell which IMSB is in the car by looking at the VIN or mfg date. So those are the things I know.

What I'd like to know is the probability of having a Gen 3 IMSB in the car. So, are there any accurate numbers on what % of 2005 MY Boxsters have the Gen 2 vs the Gen 3? Are most of the 2005's the Gen 3 IMSB? Are failure rates, for whatever they're worth, on the 2005's closer to the 2000-2004 failure rates, or are they much closer to the 2006-2008 failure rates?

Reason I ask is that I'm shopping for a Boxster (as some of you know), and I see the early 987's going for not much more than a comparable 2003/2004, and I think it just might be worth the difference. I almost bought a 2006 this week, but it failed the PPI. So I'm back to looking again and wondering about the 2005's.

Thank you.
You have a 50/50 shot at which one it is.