View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #150
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro View Post
No different than those saying we overcharge for the parts we manufacture. Shops need to make their margin as do the wholesalers. Most shops make more money on parts than on labor and many shops have told me they operate on less than 10% margin. That's why we've seen so many shops fold up in the last few years.

I have a shop as well and overhead for that side of the business is in the $80-85/hr. That's the bare minimum an hour I have to charge to keep the lights on. Once the new Governor passes additional taxes in IL, health insurance goes up (again), I'm sure that number will rise. That doesn't take into consideration actually making money.

Shops in the Chicagoland area charge upwards of $200 an hour.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. 100%. You'll note than in another thread I specifically defended YOUR pricing.

But you'll also note another recent thread wherein I commented that when someone pays your premium price, for your premium product, it really should FIT, without having to "ream it out".

It goes both ways, Charles. I tell my people all the time: "we either have to be better, or we have to be cheaper. I gotta have something to sell on." Just because a shop charges higher rates doesn't mean they're better. They need to actually be better. This is why I won't use the Garff shops in SLC: They've had my jeeps, my jaguars, my Audi, my Mercedes', and done a piss-poor job on all of them. They're not getting a chance at another one of my cars.

You've established yourself at the top of the market, price-wise: Your quality should be there too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote