View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I'm looking at a Boxster that shows rear end collision on the Carfax. Happened over 10 years ago, not with my Seller, but with the prior owner. ...
There are probably more 15 year old cars out there that have had undocumented minor collision repair than those that show on CarFax. To me, the car is what it physically is as presented for sale. Don't trust CarFax, don't trust the seller, trust the actual condition as verified in a detailed inspection. If you are spending a sum that is significant to you, have a PPI by a reputable third party.

Quote:
On an '03 I would figure there should be roughly a $2,000 difference.
$2,000 difference from what? KBB? Cars.com? No. There are just too many variables in the care and condition of a car that age. My offer (or bottom $ as seller) would be specific to the condition of that car, which could vary a couple thousand regardless of mileage. Again, PPI and how the car is Now.
I would pay significantly less for a car with a branded title (Rebuilt, Flood, Repo, etc.). Not for any worry, but because to me, the title is part of the car and a brand is unrepairable damage.

I concede that my opinions may be contrary to other good advice and I have no special skill at buying and selling cars. Just throwing it out there to fill out the discussion.
:dance: