View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post

I hope you agree potential risk with lube and torque down to the spec. originally meant for dry where clamp force may get close to or exceed yield strength of materials. Do you lube every situation calling for certain torque spec, regardless?
No, I do not agree that there is a risk of over torqueing a given fastener because it is lubricated. In over four decades of lubricating fasteners prior to torqueing, I cannot say that I have ever seen one fail as the result. I would agree that there is a significant risk of under torqueing a fastener because it was assembled dry, causing the drag of the dry thread surfaces to be interpreted as the correct torque value.

And yes, we lubricate every torqued fastener. And in all the years I have been doing this, I have NEVER encountered a spec that specified dry rather than lubricated torque ( or the other way around) by any manufacturer. They simply give a torque spec or range, expecting the tech to be sure all the treads are clean and move freely in order to achieve the desired clamping force.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-02-2018 at 02:00 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote