View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsnyder67 View Post
.......I also like the culture of the brand just like Porsche. The culture of Porsche is why I want anothe one.
This is an important and valid point. However, having spent most of my life in the motorcycle world, and now a newcomer to porsche, I'd point out that there are (in both instances) what I perceive to be "competing" cultures.

In the Harley world, there are enthusiasts, and there are poseurs. The enthusiasts love the bike, the heritage, the history, and the competing values of technology and tradition. They also love motorcycling at its "lifestyle" root. This means they can appreciate ALL motorcycles and enthusiasts, understanding that each make has a certain appeal.
Then there are poseurs, who want only the "status" of ownership. They buy all the harley paraphernalia, accessories, apparel, etc. They shape their dress and speech around their perception of a "harley owner". And they belittle and demean other motorcycle enthusiasts. Won't even wave at them on the road.

These same competing cultures exist in the porsche world. The "purists", who insist that porsches are perfect and shouldn't be altered, and who believe (and preach) that all other marques are inferior. These are they who allow (or promote) the misconception of their neighbors and office mates, that their 986 is something exotic and expensive.
But there's the side that loves the car for what it is. They're not afraid to try to improve with modifications. They cheer when they see another $3500 boxster on craigslist, and they'd love for others to know just how cheap and accessible they really are. 'Cuz why wouldn't you want others to have as much fun as you're having?

With both marques, one culture is about ego, the other is about enjoyment. And I find there's usually a little bit of both in most owners. ;-)

FWIW: it's much worse in the Ducati and Ferrari worlds. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote