View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
maytag
Who's askin'?

"...Not gonna go an faster in this car without taking out your wallet..."

Hey y'all:

So, I'm approaching this topic carefully... because I know how the topic of modifications as a means to go faster has been treated here before, hehe.

Over the weekend, as I was attending my region's PCA HPDE, I asked to have an instructor to ride-along with me on the first day. I told them I wanted someone who could help me identify any bad habits, things I'm doing wrong, etc etc. a shot-coach, basically. :-)

The first session was us getting to know each other, and him seeing what I could already do. The 2nd session, he helped me modify a couple of lines, that really helped me. Both sessions were full of ego-inducing comments like "wow! Excellent Car-Control" and "You've got that section dialed-in PERFECT", and "I could do that all-day long with you if my right arm weren't so sore from pushing against the door"

But at the end of the session, he said to me: "So, it's clear to me that you've mastered this car. I really don't know how to help you go any faster without you pulling out your wallet". (I was a little slow... I thought he was asking for a tip, hahaha). Of course, I loved hearing that. hehe.

My first day was cut short by a corded-tire (see below). So the next day I put on my Michelin AS3's, or "hard-as-marbles" as I was referring to them. hehe. (I actually told EVERYBODY there that they were all in trouble if it started to snow, hahaha!)

I hadn't requested an instructor for the next day, but one came and found me anyway, and asked if he could go with me for a couple of sessions. Similar experience: he helped me with a couple of things that helped me a lot. With those tires on, I was obviously slower, and sliding-around alot more, and we modified some of my lines to accommodate. I did eventually take a 4-off slide as I was chasing a Miata with an LS3 motor in it (!!) and I had to calm back down a bit.

Here's what I'm getting-at: I still have some things to learn, as evidenced by the fact that both days I learned some things that helped me go faster. However: it's clear that right now I'm hard-up against the limitations of the car, and it's time to start improving the machine too.

SO..... (here we go)....

- My car is an '03 S. It's got newer Billstein struts on it, and I've been replacing rubbers & joints gradually as I get through the car.

- I'm going to change to a square-setup, now that I need tires anyway (haha)

- I KNOW that I really need more negative camber (again, see the photo below, haha). LCA's? And what will that do to me driving it on the street? What else do these cars benefit from, in the way of geometry changes / alignment specs?

- I suspect I could go a little stiffer on the springs / dampers. But I'd hate to the make the car no fun to drive on the street. I have a buddy who just did Ohlins R&T's on his 996. he loves it. waddy'all know? (It's serious coin, I know)

- What's the sweet setup for the sway bar? Do I understand correctly that the "S" front bar is desirable, but that I should change the rear to the base bar, to allow for a little easier rotation? Or is there a hotter setup?

- Power. I know. ::sigh:: here's where I begin to ask myself "what the heck are you doing?!?!?" IF I wanted a fast car, why didn't I BUY a fast car? But I imagine some of you can relate, haha. I'm not going to dive-into this with two $10k bills.... so let's not start talking about swapping to a 3.6 or anything, haha. But what works? What's worth a couple HP here-n-there? I see things like: - Pelican has something in their book about a computer flash? - ROW tune? - Pedro's Techno-stuff? - ok, seriously, what would the 3.6L swap really cost me? hahaha

I realize I'm opening a flood gate here. But some of you have been through this process as well, yet I can't find a single thread where it's all discussed in one place. I'd love some advice from y'all who've done it on the order of cost / benefit ratio.

Keep in mind that I do all of my own work (with the exception of alignment, etc.) so labor-intensive processes don't scare me the way they would some who are paying someone to do it for them, hehe.

Thanks in advance for contributing to what I hope is a lively topic!!!
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote