View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil64 View Post
... Anything else I should look at. Sale price is $6k. Of course I always have the concern of the ims bearing and rear seal but for this price it’s is difficult to not look.
I see in your profile that you have a 911, so I assume you have some familiarity with Porsches. If the money is significant to you, get a PPI. In cases like this it is often pointed out that the paint and major cosmetics are more expensive to make right than a lot of minor mechanical issues.

Does it look like a car with 25k miles? Can the door dings be fixed with PDR? At 25K miles does the interior look like a 2-3 year old car, or an 18 year old car? Sit in it and close your eyes; Are you in a fine leather carriage? ...or back at the fraternity the morning after a party?

Why the low mileage? 25k could mean that it has had no maintenance done. Original tires - probably dangerous from aging. Was it 'stored' or just left and parked?

Do you do your own work or have a mechanic that you like to pay? I'd consider buying it, but plan to replace tires, AOS, water pump, all fluids, then get the IMS/RMS done fairly soon.

After it's been driven a few months I'd expect to find a few problems such as vacuum leaks, bad coolant cap, and a window regulator failure. These things are time consuming and annoying if you DIY. They can add up to a lot of money if you pay a shop.

By the time you get past 30K miles, if you did it right, you can have a great car with all the bugs worked out and probably no needs for a long time. Do it wrong and you could have a roller worth about $3k.

A few things I check: Oil filter cup, date code on tires (cracks?), moisture in the carpet padding behind the seats, belly panels and hoses, oil leaks: (under AOS, spark plug tubes, junction of transmission), correct window/lock/door function, clogged drains (around the battery & around the top), locking lugs and tool (I HATE locking lug bolts), smooth lines and gap of frunk-bumper-fenders-doors-clamshell-trunk-bumper, make sure that all the instrument panel advisory lights work (Check engine not on because it's burned out?), how many keys?, .... I could go on for pages.

Lastly, there will always be another great deal next week.