View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Agustin, welcome to the forum. In general, I like your idea of buying a parts car to learn from and possibly make some money. I always have a car around to take parts from, then haul the stripped skeleton away when it is picked clean. It is a great way to learn about cars and how they are put together. You can also make some money at.

Starting out with a 986 Boxster as your first project may not be the best idea though unless you have a good source of one that is easy to afford. Maybe find another more popular car for a couple hundred to start with. Learn how you are going to store it, what tools you need to have, how to actually sell the parts, and what to do with the left-over husk.

The first car I totally stripped and scrapped was a 1986 Toyota MR2 that had some frame rust. Bought for $200. Sold the engine and transmission alone for $600 and much, much more of the car once word got around the MR2 community. I still have a couple coffee cans of nuts and bolts from that car.

986 Boxsters are great cars and many of the early ones are now reaching a state where they have had a lapse of care and are starting to deteriorate. If you can catch one on the way down, that has not yet been ruined, it can be a fun and rewarding project.