View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #18
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Over the years, we have see several IMS failures, which were confirmed by at least a partial engine tear down (we don't say IMS failure until we know it was). The mileage of these cars were all over the place, some were 'garage queens doing less than 1K miles a year, others were daily drivers with well over 100K miles on them at the time of failure. If you looked at the confirmed failures we have seen, while the mileage data seems almost randomly scattered, one very obvious similarity was that most were single row engines, with only a smattering of dual rows, similar to the data published in the factory's legal case. An outlier in the data was one owner that had a relatively low mileage failure, he had a higher mileage replacement engine installed, only to have that one fail many thousands of miles later. Last I heard, he was driving a Nissan.

On the basis of this experience, I don't see a mileage relations relationship. Other shops may or may not have had a different history, but we don't go by unconfirmed chatter off the web, I can only speak for what we have seen.
Thank you.
And the delineating line for when a shingle row was used, rather than the dual row? Do I understand this happened mid - year '02?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote