View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastmod View Post
Is it possible that having too much oil ...say half a liter to a liter extra could have somehow damaged the AOS and the oil cooler at the same time?
Not likely that your car suffered two simultaneous independent failures. Also, extra oil shouldn't damage the oil cooler.

Quote:
Or is it more likely that the AOS was slowly starting to go ...
Yes, this is possible.

Quote:
...and the extra oil pressure blew the oil cooler?
No. Extra oil shouldn't damage the oil cooler. The oil pump creates the oil pressure which is (generally) independent of the total volume of oil in the engine.

Quote:
Is it possible that having too much oil ...say half a liter to a liter extra could have somehow damaged the AOS..
Yes, this is possible. But only the AOS would be affected and since the AOS is not connected to the coolant system, there is no way that an AOS failure can result in coolant in the oil.

Quote:
I'm hopeful that this will be an easy fix.
If the oil cooler is the only failure, then yes, it will be fairly simple. If not the oil cooler, then you likely have a very serious problem.

Quote:
I'm terrified the extra oil pressure may have somehow blown a head gasket.
No, extra oil would not affect oil pressure. But you still might have a blown head gasket for other reasons.

Quote:
2001 boxster S still runs and idles fine..only has issues if |I try to bring the revs up under load...reving in the driveway for example does not produce any smoke.
Never operate an engine with oil/coolant intermix until you know the cause.

I'd do a coolant system pressure test. This might help point you in the direction of the coolant leak.
If not, then I'd remove and pressure test the oil cooler.
If the oil cooler is ok, then I'd do a compression and leak down test on all cylinders.
Once you've got this far, you should have found something that points you in the right direction to find the problem.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-28-2018 at 08:38 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote