View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Unfortunately is is not uncommon for those displays to go bad. I have done a few of them. Yes, you can replace those displays, but the cluster needs to be completely disassembled to do it, and the displays are not available as replacement parts. I have new sets of displays with cables for the early clusters, but as far as I know no one makes replacements for the late LCD panels. So, you need to have another cluster to get the parts from. As for disassembly, it is kind of tricky as it is very easy to damage the gauge motors when removing the needles and you need to be careful to get the needles realigned properly. All in all, l I would not consider this an easy DIY job unless you are used to doing this type of thing. I do have new replacement gauge motors, but those aren't super easy to replace either.

There are a few options. First, there is the new dealer option. Easy, but expensive. Then you could find a direct replacement cluster and get it matched to your cluster. Cheaper than dealer. You could also take this opportunity to upgrade to the "dot matrix" cluster with on board computer or 996 cluster. Those options require some more parts (OBC control stalk, harness for the Boxster with OBC cluster, and oil pressure sensor, wiring, and cluster bezel modification). Of course there is also the repair option.

It just depends if you just want to fix what you have, replace with new or upgrade.