Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #1

Garage
Digital displays in cluster replacements?

I have an '02 Boxster and the two side digital displays (speed & clock) look to have issues with the surface of the LCDs. They both display fine otherwise. Has anyone been able to replace just those small displays in the cluster or does the whole thing have to be replaced? The center digital display looks perfect.

harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Can you take a closer picture? Looks kind of like fogging or moisture. I'm not 100% those need to be replaced.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
inveniam viam aut faciam

Unfortunately is is not uncommon for those displays to go bad. I have done a few of them. Yes, you can replace those displays, but the cluster needs to be completely disassembled to do it, and the displays are not available as replacement parts. I have new sets of displays with cables for the early clusters, but as far as I know no one makes replacements for the late LCD panels. So, you need to have another cluster to get the parts from. As for disassembly, it is kind of tricky as it is very easy to damage the gauge motors when removing the needles and you need to be careful to get the needles realigned properly. All in all, l I would not consider this an easy DIY job unless you are used to doing this type of thing. I do have new replacement gauge motors, but those aren't super easy to replace either.

There are a few options. First, there is the new dealer option. Easy, but expensive. Then you could find a direct replacement cluster and get it matched to your cluster. Cheaper than dealer. You could also take this opportunity to upgrade to the "dot matrix" cluster with on board computer or 996 cluster. Those options require some more parts (OBC control stalk, harness for the Boxster with OBC cluster, and oil pressure sensor, wiring, and cluster bezel modification). Of course there is also the repair option.

It just depends if you just want to fix what you have, replace with new or upgrade.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Can you take a closer picture? Looks kind of like fogging or moisture. I'm not 100% those need to be replaced.
I have the battery disconnected right now. The left side looks like it bubbled and separated maybe? The right side looks cracked or creased. I've never seen LCD displays do that before!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
There are a few options. First, there is the new dealer option. Easy, but expensive. Then you could find a direct replacement cluster and get it matched to your cluster. Cheaper than dealer. You could also take this opportunity to upgrade to the "dot matrix" cluster with on board computer or 996 cluster. Those options require some more parts (OBC control stalk, harness for the Boxster with OBC cluster, and oil pressure sensor, wiring, and cluster bezel modification). Of course there is also the repair option.

It just depends if you just want to fix what you have, replace with new or upgrade.
Love the idea of upgrading to a 996 cluster. They seem pretty pricey compared to 986's. does the odometer get programmed in the cluster or is that separate? If there's a guide on here I will take a look. I can ready both displays so it may just wait, but I really like the OBC idea, too.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
My center display did something similar. I ended up disassembling the entire thing and removing and replacing the polarized film on the surface of the LCD which fixed it. I may have replacement parts that you can use as drop in replacements as I ended up buying a couple of dashes for parts. Let me know if you're interested in seeing if they fit. If so I'll dig them out of the parts bin and have look at them.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
My center display did something similar. I ended up disassembling the entire thing and removing and replacing the polarized film on the surface of the LCD which fixed it. I may have replacement parts that you can use as drop in replacements as I ended up buying a couple of dashes for parts. Let me know if you're interested in seeing if they fit. If so I'll dig them out of the parts bin and have look at them.
That's exactly how I would describe these - the displays themselves are working fine. It really seemed like a surface layer. If you have time to do that, I would definitely appreciate it!

Tags
cluster , led