View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #16
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Just rip all that stuff out and put a K&N in there. The engineers at Porsche don't know how to make a car sound good. Right?
...or is there physics involved? I read about this stuff once and had a basic understanding, maybe you can too.
Pressure waves, harmonics, volume, length, clean flow vs disturbed, ... Way too much engineering involved for me to think I could make it better with a little sheet metal, some PVC, and a generic filter system.
Simple:
https://itstillruns.com/air-intake-resonator-do-12156112.html
For the engineers:
FLUID DYNAMIC STUDY OF INTAKE MANIFOLDS OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES IN PRESENCE OF ACOUSTIC RESONATORS
Wow.... what an incredibly snide and condescending response. But I'll play along.
To suggest that somehow the engineers at Porsche read my mind and designed this system to meet MY specific needs or desires is preposterous. I'm sure the amount of noise I'm looking for would be considered unacceptable by many, or most, and CERTAINLY by most DOT standards. And if you think that the system installed by Porsche can't be improved upon, you're sorely mistaken.
As to the physics: while this is my first Porsche, I've built plenty PLENTY race motors, both superbike, muscle car and even a little fiat 1.8L that'd wind to almost 9k: the way "the physics" say something should work is not always the way it works, because your basic calculations don't take into consideration all of the other variables. So you go ahead and sit on your unmodified car (because Porsche clearly optimized everything on this car, so why would you change ANYTHING, and for that matter why would Porsche ever build another car if they got it right this time?) While you convince yourself that the wave modulation of the hyfendufenator serves to counter the harmonics of the filter bearings.....
Me? I'ma go ahead and tear out all KINDS of useless crap that Porsche designed and installed because they were required to compromise, like every other automotive engineer and manufacturer.

How'd I do? Did I accurately match the tone of your post? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote