Thread: Key troubles
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The cheap and 'risky' solution:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56448-diy-making-cheap-spare-keys.html
I have done this to four Boxsters, two of which I sold and explained to the buyers. They were buying at a good price and happy for the extra keys.
While I understand that a pro or a purist would find it to be a cringeworthy solution, to those who own Boxsters as a fun, depreciated car it may make sense.

***I may have mis-read your post. You will need at least one correct key-transponder to make this work.
This glass pill thingy:
What you are describing will get the car running, but with two major caveats: Your alarm and immobilized systems are permanently disabled, making stealing the car a snap. If the car was stolen in this state, insurance would not pay out as you had purposely disabled these systems. Second, the presence of the RFID pill in proximity of the ignition will keep the immobilized and alarm in an active state, which will cause a continuous drain on the car’s battery. This is why the owner’s manual suggests against leaving the car parked in the garage with the key in the ignition.