View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
BirdDog

I have a Duremetric enthusiast cable and love it. Lets me read the status of every system in my Boxster, allows me to reset some codes (like airbag), enable some minor things (like OBC) and allows me to look at camshaft deviations, O2 outputs, etc. But I'd understand if the almost $300 USD price would scare a lot of people away. Also requires a computer. I used a Motion Computing J3500 Windows tablet computer with mine but any laptop will do (I've even used an old Dell Mini 10 netbook with it).

Autel - I don't have one so I can't comment other than to say that if it can read tranny codes, it could save you a bunch of money over a Durametric.

I have Torque Pro on my phone, and it's great for what it does (and you can't beat the price!) But as far as I know it only reads engine codes.

My generic code reader is an OTC that also allows me to read ABS codes on most cars/trucks. Really helped me isolate an ABS problem I had on my GM car. But I haven't tried it on the Boxster.

When you are refilling the tranny, the car has to be level, so it will be up in the air with all 4 wheels off the ground. I always say you can't have too many jackstands/jacks under it. Besides jackstands on each corner, it wouldn't hurt to put an extra jack or two under there as backup...

I'm with Paul - unless you have a low fluid level, changing the fluid probably won't fix your problem. Then again, I have heard of them slipping if the fluid is burned/too old. Or maybe the filter is clogged... Either way, it can't hurt to change the fluid and filter, and it will eliminate that as a possible cause.

But like JFP said, you really need to read the codes...