View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #52
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
What happens when one of these swaps hits the smog testing site? What will the ECU report to the OBD2 port connected testers?
I've been living away from smog for most of my life and really don't know the details of what is required. If the engine swap itself is legal, it should be able to pass a smog test if done correctly.

I have learned the basics of flashing the ECUs used for these swaps and anyone else with very basic technical skills can learn it as well. It is not difficult to enter the correct VIN or load a modified file to the ECU. Knowing exactly what changes to make for tuning,.. or deleting the SAI is still beyond me, but the information is available for learning when my curiosity ventures there.

With some adjustments, the ECU should function properly and OBD port report normally. Need to be sure? Have a reputable pro do it.

For my car it doesn't matter. In Oklahoma there is not even a state requirement for a basic safety check