View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystanlycup View Post
I purchased a 2001 Boxster 2 years ago. I have loved every minute of driving it. I was well aware of IMS issues and did my research and found one that had had the bearing replaced, as well as the clutch. It ran fine, but now my mechanic discovered metal in the oil filter. He heard a sound coming from the engine and performed an ear test and determined it was coming from the location of the IMS. unfortunately, he won't go into this engine and another well-respected mechanic won't touch it.
I would hate to drop $5000 to have a mechanic tell me I need a new engine......so....what should I do with this car?
It still runs, pretty good shape, 60,000 miles. I definitely won't try to stick a stranger with this problem. Should I sell it 'as is'? Would anyone buy it in this condition? Part it out?
I'm a newbie so any and all advice is welcome..!

Thanks All!
Once you see metal in the oil filter, particularly if the metal is ferrous, your options are severely limited. Realistically, the engine is probably done, regardless of how it currently runs. Trying to replace the IMS at this juncture is a non started as the metal circulating in the engine will simply kill it.