View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
OK, here's an update on my low oil pressure issues.

As mentioned previously, I've installed a 2 qt Accusump with a remote oil filter with a 1042 Napa Gold filter. I Also installed VDO oil temp and oil pressure gauges replacing the original oil pressure switch with the dual switch/sender unit from VDO. I then originally filled with Total Quartz 5w40 oil which I had been using for the last year without issues before the accusump install (no low oil pressure, at least no warning light). When the oil temp gets hotter than 200F, it will set the low oil pressure warning light (7 psi or less) at idle.

In a quest to fix the low oil pressure, I upgraded the pressure relief valve as mentioned in this thread, with no difference in the oil pressure. I then filled with Motul 8100 xcess 5w40 oil. This weekend I went to a DE event at INDE Motorsport Ranch in AZ, and, while reviewing the video footage, noticed that the accusump dumping light I installed on my dash was coming ON on hard right turns, and also less on left turns. What I didn't like is that occasionally, the low oil pressure warning light would come ON (maybe a flicker but sometimes 1-2 seconds) on those prolonged (6-7 seconds) right hand turns!!!! I din't notice it at the track (focused on driving).

So now, I'm freaking out. Today I went ahead and filled with Mobil 1 5w50 (on sale at NAPA), at the recommendation of my indie mechanic and driving instructor. I'm still seeing the low oil pressure warning light when the oil is up to temp, but barely...

What the heck is going on? Could the oil pump itself be worn out?
At startup, I do get up to 60 psi cold, but then it quickly goes down as the oil heats up. Could the filter be creating too much oil pressure drop? (accusump is AFTER the oil filter, and there is a check valve to prevent backflow). I'm thinking that the oil pump does not have enough pressure/flow to refill the Accusump and that is why I'm seeing the low pressure light at the track. This should not happen with an Accusump!

JFP in PA, any ideas? Can these pumps wear? Do I need a coarser filter like the LNE washable one? Or are my bearings worn out? Engine has 81,000 miles and runs great!

Thanks

BTW it was a blast at INDE, as I'll post some video. Oil temp did not get above 235F. And BTW I'm on street tires (R-S3s).
We have seen the oil pumps go bad, usually from accumulated debris in the oil. The oil pump drives are also known to fail, but those usually just snap leaving you without any oil. The is also a pressure regulator system in the pump that consists of a piston and spring which can fail, lowering the oil pressure. This is the easiest thing to check as you can remove it through an external plug, and there is an updated replacement set up specifically to improve low RPM oil pressure. As the updated components sell for around $20, I'd start there. If that doesn't work, pull the pump casset and check the pump for wear.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-04-2017 at 06:26 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote