View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
eicheldp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrantyB View Post
Where did you find the wheel mounting alignment tools? I had one for my old BMW but can't find ones for the 986.
BrantyB - I'm not sure, I purchased them 4 years ago, I believe it was through Suncoast for approximately $10 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Keep a couple of things in mind when it comes to using spacers on our cars. My tech concurs with me on these thoughts, although some of you physics and engineering guys may disagree...

First, the bigger the spacer the harder it will be on your wheel bearings. New bearings are not expensive to buy ($50 each, but outrageously expensive to replace for labor costs ($400 or more per corner). It's not worth it for a more aggressive look in my opinion.

Second, if your wheel is out of balance spacers can accentuate vibration.

After replacing all four of my wheel bearings, I ditched my 15mm spacers and went with the smallest spacer required for my 18 inch rims to clear the struts (5MM).
Randall - I started with 18" wheels on the car originally and went down to 17". I used 10mm spacers on the rear and 15 mm spacers on the front to help with the clearances. The wheels and tires were balanced by my shop and I've not experienced any vibrations while driving both locally and on the interstate.