View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #23
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I am sure most know what a Mity Vac is. Miine came from HF and I use it to change my brake fluids on my Cars and Truck. I thought about seeing how much oil I could remove from the engine via the dip stick tube. I had a small piece of clear tubing about 48 or so inches and connected it to my MV. When inserting the clear tubing down the dip stick tube it stopped sliding down around 18 inches. I removed it and cut of the tip at a sharp angle. It then slid all the way deep into the sump.....I was able to remove approximately 5 oz of oil in 3 or 4 minutes. I am thinking you could remove a 1/2 to 1 quart within a short while if need be. It seems to be easier to remove the oil and continue to check until it's at the correct level. Big plus, it's without creating a mess and dealing with the oil filter.
Be damned careful using that thing to pull oil out of the sump. There are a lot of things down there that the tube can get hung up on, requiring pulling the sump cover to get it out. We have had more than one Porsche with a dip stick tube flat bedded to the shop because of this. Bad idea, period.