View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #31
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
...confirmation of my what I already suspected. In some cases I've bought HF stuff, but avoided that temptation with jack stands. (Justifiably?? IDK...) I also got the 3-ton rather than 2-ton ones. So...24,000 lb capacity for a 2800 lb car? Should suffice

I always remember back to the first time I worked under a car on stands. It was my son's girlfriend's car, a big ol' Mercury Grand Marquis. The fuel pump had died and we were underneath working on removing the fuel tank. I remember being terrified under there...jack stands just didn't look very substantial. I've gotten a LOT more at ease and trusting of them--unfortunately I'm getting to the age where I'd REALLY like a lift. Being able to walk under a car just looks like a whole lot more fun than squirming under one on jack stands. Especially when you get under there and you realize you've got the wrong sized socket
I have a simple rule on HF stuff: Absolutely nothing that holds weight above my head.