View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #29
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Seems like a pretty nice system.

I have, however, read somewhere or other that it's not advisable to work under a vehicle that's supported strictly by 4 jack stands. The lift bar web page referenced earlier shows a number of P-cars supported that way. Do most people feel comfortable working under a car supported that way?

I guess the answer in part depends on how much one trusts their jack stands. I have a bunch of medium-short pieces of 4x4 lumber laying around the garage. I have a tendency to stack them strategically in such situations to serve as back-up support, (+/- stacked wheels). My inclination would be that I'm comfortable with that set-up.
If you use decent quality jack stands, why wouldn't you work under the car? We have stands ranging from 2 ton up to 8 ton each, so even if you used four 2 ton stands, that's capable of safely supporting a vehicle weighing in at anything less than 8 tons, or 16,000 pounds. Porsche hasn't made anything that heavy since they made panzer tanks in the second world war..............

Even the lifts in the shop only top out at 12,000 pounds, and I am as comfortable working under a car on them as I am with a Porsche sitting on four 2 ton jack stands. The only caveat is the quality of the equipment; buy good stands and you will own and use them for the rest of your life, which will not be shortened by a car falling on your head. And if makes you feel any better, I recently helped out a buddy by doing a dual row IMS Solution retrofit on his car in his shop while it was standing on those lift bars and four 6 ton jack stands (bottoms of the tires were 24 inches off the floor); the car was steady as a rock during the entire procedure, it never moved once or gave me any reason for concern.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-21-2017 at 02:08 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote