View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
rodsnhawgs

rms r & r

As promised, here's a few pics in successive threads. I'll make a few comments along w/ the pics. Also, refer to the links that are noted/notable resources. There are others on the "net", but these are a couple of really good ones.

First, let me say that even though this could be a "driveway" job, as you'll see from the pics, my shop is well equipped which made it much easier and safer. Second, this job is not beyond the capabilities of any of you with a decent level of mechanical aptitude and most basic hand tools. You may need to buy, borrow, or rent a few tools, but the offset in labor saved would be well worth the investment in my opinion. OK, let's get to it:

The Bentley Svc manual shows an engine support tool to "hang" the engine from while the transmission is removed. This is because the downward forces on the engine/trans are supported by the (transmission) rear mounts. Anyway, I made the same rig out of a 2X4, a piece of allthread , and a short section of chain (see pic). This allows for adjustment up/down and support w/ the trans removed. The other pic shows the car on the rack w/ rear supported on jack stands so the wheels and axles can turn.
04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
rodsnhawgs is offline   Reply With Quote