View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
flyride

Check Engine Light - Secondary Air Pump

Hey guys,

Took my Boxster in to get a check engine light diagnosed (I reset it a couple of times but it would usually come back on within 5 minutes of driving it), and they told me it's a secondary air pump problem, printed out the fault sheet - basically had a couple of these sets of errors:

Boxster (986) DME Fault memory
Number of faults: 3
108 Supply voltage
80 Secondary air injection system
Cylinder (1-3)
208 Secondary air injection system
Cylinder (4-6)

They explained it could be the pump, or wiring. The pump is $1501 CDN and they say no returns. So I purchased a used pump for $200, figuring I could always resell it if that doesn't fix it, and am going to book it back in - however, I was just wonder is it something I could tackle myself or is it definately something they should do? He quoted me 1.5 hours to change the pump, so it doesn't seem too overly involved...

I'm also having an issue were every so often it will hesitate and occationally backfire in 1st or 2nd gear. It's almost like the fuel isn't getting through (chugs a bit) and then it all goes through. Never does it in reverse (I can start it up, back it out of the garage onto the road, put it in 1st and it will do it). I have had it when the engine is hot as well, but it's not as common. Unfortunately there are no faults for this, I was hoping maybe just a crappy plug or something but I would think that would register in the fault list.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
flyride is offline   Reply With Quote