View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
dghii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Yes, but that is one of many potential problems that can cause those codes. If you are buying a Porsche with misfires all across bank 1 and an implausible camshaft position indication, do you want to assume that it's the $30-$90 part that can be reached easily?
I have bought a lot of troubled cars. In fact, they rarely interest me if they don't have a few problems. If I was considering this car, I would assume that the most economical repair would involve a replacement short-block and price it accordingly. The problem that you can easily see, usually isn't the only problem or the most serious problem.
I agree to consider worst case when considering your offer. I've found, on the 4 Boxster's I've bought it that all the potential 'bad' problems ended up not being anything serious at all.

I think that folks that are paying for all their repairs just get tired of it and give up.

Once car I bought, a 98 back in 2010 had a top with a bad rear window no power top operation. The PO told me he was quoted just under $3K to resolve the problems and he was done. I found his power top relay to be missing...weird, but installing a used top relay ($60) restored the tops operation. I then sourced a top and frame for $500 shipped.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote