Old 04-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #10
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Also thinking about buying one of these. Any opinions?:
Waterproof Case for Porsche Boxster & 911 996 Immobilizer Alarm
The waterproof cases are good and well reviewed. The developer posted here on the forum a few times.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/53115-new-idea-porsche-boxster-immobilizer-clu-water-proof-case.html
Highly recommended, but I'm cheap. I sealed one with hot-glue and silicone grease, another is in a zip-lock bag.
Quote:
...Most Ebay sellers sell the immobilizer and ECU (and sometimes keys) together. Can I just buy an immobilizer and program it to my car?
Yes, a dealer or well equipped independent shop can match a new immobilizer to your car. If you do, go to them and fully discuss it before buying any parts. The ones sold as a set on eBay are because all three parts need common programming to work together. It all has to match.

Javi, you have one of my favorite cars. I expect that your 3.4L engine has a custom ECU. If drying your immobilizer out does not fix the problem, Qmulus or ECU Doctors is going to be your best solution. Either of them can transfer the necessary part from your bad immobilizer box to a good one. This will probably be the most cost effective solution and have no effect on your ECU.

Short of removing the carpet, I have found that propping it up and circulating air underneath works to dry it out. Find out how that water got in and fix it. Hate to see it happen again.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-24-2017 at 05:59 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote