Thread: The not quite S
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #19
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The engine thing? ...maybe later.

Priorities change. In early April, I had most of the Audi engine harness connections identified and connected to various things. I powered it up and got the instrument panel/immobilizer good, it had good fuel pressure, cranked but didn't start. No bounce of the tach needle. I needed my garage for other things, so all that mess got pushed aside.
Here's the thing. I want more power. Accelerating hard from the low rpms, up through the band is a good feeling. When you are on a track with powerful cars all around, or you have it floored exiting a corner and the instructor says, "Ok, give it some gas now." the 2.5L falls a bit short. The reality is though that I am not skilled on the track yet. That extra torque will get me into trouble quicker, but not necessarily around the track faster. I will get the engine swap done, but what I need for now is to make the basic car safe and reliable as I develop my skills.
Over the last couple weeks I replaced the leaking steering rack, stripped out weight, put in a Sparco seat (then put the original seats back in), changed fluids, and thought I fixed the cooling system - which had been running hot and venting coolant.
Today I took it to the track. In hindsight I realized that this was the first time I had driven the car over 20 miles. I probably should have given it more of a workout before driving 90 miles to the track.

I managed to get two sessions in. The car felt good and handled great, but during the second, it started overheating. I decided to call it a day and focus on just getting the car home. From what I can tell, it has a leak in the expansion tank that only leaks under full pressure. The tank has looked rough since I got the car, but I was hoping to get by until I swapped the engine.

With the vent open on the coolant tank, it didn't seem to have much trouble. I made the trip home only stopping once to top off the coolant. Next DE is in two weeks. I'm hoping to have it ready again by then.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-23-2017 at 08:58 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote