Thread: The not quite S
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #17
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Transmission question: 5 speed into an S?

Looking ahead, I plan to install a 5 speed transmission from a 2001 2.7L into this car. Yes, it's not as robust as the 6 speed, but it works and the 01A Audi version has been paired with this motor many times without issue. I haven't researched any of the details of how to make this work yet. Feel free to post any tips, trick, or warnings for me to consider, or preferably a complete DIY with pictures that a 5 year old could follow.
I think I have everything from the 2001 available including axles and clutch slave. Everything for the 6 speed is currently in the car and operating correctly.
  • I think that the transmission suspension/mounts for the 5 speed will be a direct install.
  • Have not looked at shift linkage. Issues?
  • I'm guessing the clutch slave just needs to have the hose connected.
  • Axles... Haven't looked yet, but I'm hoping that I can swap the ends from one to another. If that doesn't work, I may look at some Audi parts. I may want an output flange with a heavier coupling than the 5 speed currently has. Will the flanges from the 6 speed install in the 5 speed?
Any thoughts?