View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #13
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Boxcutter View Post
So I haven't had the best experience with car covers... :ah:

I've purchased a couple of those "Ultimate Car Covers" (you know, the one with all the layers) and it would shed fabric all over the car.

Then I bought the black vinyl car cover type (which is more like a tarp but fitted) and while it kept the rain off, it didn't have tie down holes so big gusts of winds would blow it off.

So I want a car cover that's fitted, waterproof, has tie down holes, but doesn't shed fabric all over the place. Any ideas?
I have used a lot of cheap car covers over the years and what I learned is that 90% of what you can get for under $100 is junk and some of what you can get for well over that is still junk. The examples you listed are some of the worst.

The only pressed polyester (multi-layer type) that I found any good was the "Noah" material that Mikefocke mentioned. It is a bit bulky, but provides good protection and is easy to use.

For a very cheap cover that keeps the sun, dust, and light rain off, I have had a few of these with a couple extra bungee straps for wind. Single layer, woven fabric, very light, great for keeping the c@t hairs off when the car is in the garage, but will not hold up much over 6 months with full outdoor use. Worth the ~$25 IMHO.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motor-Trend-All-Season-WeatherWear-1-Poly-Layer-Snowproof-Water-Resistant-Car-Cover/50285024

For a heavy duty woven material, I have a couple covers made of WeatherShield HP fabric. It's heavy, and takes more work to put on and tie down than the lighter covers. They have held up well, and are washable if they get dirty - keeps grit from building up. $$$, but great covers. Car Covers - NOAH vs. WeatherShield HP
--------------------------

Fred, glad to see you are getting some energy back and posting again. I'd probably get a couple if you make that group buy official. Just prefer not to get black for the same reason as others, and no cheap LED Angel Eyes.