View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I am considering deleting the heat exchanger on my S and adding an oil cooler with a small fan.
Bilt Racing Oil Cooler Delete. For installing external oil cooler. Eliminates heat exchanger. M96/M97 only. LN Engineering
TRS Porsche Heat Exchanger Delete Plate – M96 M97 | TuneRS
This is an expensive project when you add in the cost of the oil cooler,fan and fittings.
My question is where is the best location for the small oil cooler+fan ? There are some obvious ugly locations that are fine for Racers but is there a discreet ,appropriate void somewhere to put an oil cooler on a Boxster.
And the 6 speed would benefit from an oil cooler also......
Thanks for any practical suggestions
You problem is that to use an external heat exchanger, it would have to be larger than the oil to water cooler on the engine to obtain the same efficiency, and it would need access to outside (cool) air rather than engine bay air, which is already hot. You other consideration should be the oil pump; the stock cassette mounted pump does not have the necessary volume or power to move a larger volume of oil (new cooler and lines) long distances, so going to the front of the car is out.

Why are you considering replacing the compact and well functioning system you have now?