View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
911monty

Garage
Ciao As PW said the main issue is the hardened tool steel in the soft aluminum plug. The aluminum is possibly softer than frozen butter. So make sure you have a good quality hex socket and make sure that the socket is centered well in the plug before applying torque. Oh and use a new crush ring every time.
Now I am going to depart from the specs.... IMO I see no reason to torque that plug to 37 lb/ft. Even though that is spec. Consider that the LN plug is only torqued to 19 lb/ft. The plug only has to be tightened enough to not leak or back out. So I see no reason to go beyond ~25 lb/ft. Aluminum does not go plastic and stretch like steel does, Once yield torque is attained in aluminum it simply yields. Also now might be a good time to Upgade to a LN mag plug. Initially I thought that LN limited torque to keep that way too thin flange from breaking off. Then I came to realize that maybe they were smart and designed the flange to break off BEFORE the pan was damaged!! Genius. Plug is cheap, Pan not so much. As a note I only tighten my plug to 15 lb/ft. It has never leaked yet.

Last edited by 911monty; 11-27-2016 at 03:29 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote