Thread: The not quite S
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage

I understand the confusion. Let me clear it up. It was not an awesome $1000 deal. The car was listed on Craigslist for $4,500 and when I responded to the ad, I told the seller that the absolute most that I'd be interested paying for it was $3,500. He said that sounded good to him. I think that the seller was fair and reasonably honest. He just didn't know anything about these cars. At that point having rebuilt two salvage cars, I should have known better. If I had done a proper inspection I probably would have offered $2,000 - $2,500 max. On this one, I was my own sucker. I actually did quite a bit of work on it immediately after I bought it. It is a roadworthy car now (for Oklahoma), but not a good specimen to bring to Cars and Coffee.
Quote:
...blades get broken off the water pump?
I can only guess about the water pump. I think that it was an original 1997 pump and judging by the corrosion, it was not running a proper coolant. Brittle with age, when one started to give out, it probably cascaded. I bet JFP in PA can give a better answer.
Quote:
... did it come with the hardtop?
No, I have two '99s that came with hardtops. I installed the extra spin-locks (from Woody), so I can pass them around between cars.

A few more notes:
The headlights that came with it were trash. I replaced them along with one of the mounting trays.
It came with the original S style front bumper. I gave that to Redtele58 for his spec car. I plan to cut the one that is currently on it when I connect the center radiator back up.
The wheels that came with it were cheap, heavy, knock-offs with curb rash and bad paint.
Cleaning up and finding out what I had just bought, the morning after: