View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
dghii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Cat View Post
Wiggling the ignition key, both running and not, does not cause any symptoms. It's functioning normally for now.
It's not fixed....You have a classic sign of a bad ignition switch. Again, since the car is new to you, change out the electrical portion of the switch and you'll solve your problem and know the status of you ignition switch. This is a good DYI...a little challenging but not that difficult.

Back in 2011 bought a 2 owner local 98 Boxster for $4,800. The car was dirty but not really neglected. The owner was tired of paying big $ to have all the little things things fixed.

Two problems he disclosed was AC that worked great sometimes and other times would not work at all and a stereo that did the same thing. Before buying the car, I told him about the ignition switch, to give him a chance to see if wanted to try to get the car fixed. He was done.

The day I bought the car, the AC and stereo were working fine. The next day, the AC wouldn't come on but the stereo worked. Later the same day, good AC and no stereo....you get the picture.

I purchased a new ignition switch from local NAPA dealer for $15. Having gone through this drill on my 2000 Boxster, the R/R took about 20 minutes. Both problems solved.

I have bought three other CL Boxsters since that one in 2011. I replace the ignition switch each time just so I'm not chasing my tail trying to solve weird problems. Cheap insurance!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote