View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Are 986 ('97-'04) Boxster prices still dropping, or have the flattened over the last few years, or are they appreciating?

It seems a base Boxster is around $6k where an S is $12k.
I don't think 217hp vs 250hp is much of a big deal for my street driving.
Is the "S" model worth the premium?

I am aware of the IMS issue, and that it may be overhyped.
I am figuring it's $1500 to resolve.

What comes with the Sport package?
Deal breaker for a car without it ?

Is it worth paying more for a 2003+ ?
There seems to be a huge jump in price from $5k-$12k range for 97-02 and then it seems to jump to $20k for 2003+
What year range is the best bang for the buck?

What is a fair price for a Boxster S (2000-2002) with about 50k miles?
Your post rambles in a few different directions from your title, so I hope nobody minds if mine does. I'm not really going to answer your questions too well.

What do you want a Boxster for? Are you going to drive it every day and rack up the miles? Keep it pristine and drive it on sunny holidays only? Track it and drive it hard? Take it downtown and try to be a hero from stoplight to stoplight? What you want the car for makes a big difference in which one is best for you or whether you should even get one.

Prices change regionally and seasonally. Find lower miles, but harder season in the winter regions. Is a stored Boxster better than a driven one? --Debatable. Many people will fly over 1000 miles to pick up the right one, then drive it home. I bought my 5th one in Atlanta and had it delivered 800 miles- no time for the trip, but I would have enjoyed the drive.
I watch the Dallas Craigslist and eBay for general price trends. Dallas has plenty on the market at a given time and eBay has SOLD prices.

I see prices up a bit right now. I see prices on salvage/wrecked 986 & 996 up as well.
The best 986? 2004 550 Spyder 50th Anniversary Edition.
The best value? 1998. Prices seem to dip a bit here without a good reason.
Worth buying an S over a Base? Personal. Nobody can answer that for you.
The IMS issue is overhyped. Until you see metal in your oil filter. Lots of discussion on this forum. *Search* Some of the best reads are the threads where someone replaced their own and made a mistake. Tragedy and triumph....
I did one of mine with the bearing from Pelican Parts for about $500 counting tools and parts. Some people gladly pay 10x that for a better bearing professionally installed.

Go buy a clean, low mile, cared for 2000 S from California for $12,500 - 13,500 and drive it home. 2000 Boxster S
or a bit higher mile for near 1/2 that. 2000 Porsche Boxster S /Clean CarFax/Clean Title/One Owner, 2001,2002,
But don't get either of those.... Buy from the classified section of this forum.

/end of ramble. thx.