View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
EPIQTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Economics aside, the horror stories stated here are exactly why I prefer to do my own work - I know it's done right!

Good Job on the Brakes, but I have to say that if you are not experienced, you need to have someone who knows assist you the first time. Also, you need to pay attention to properly lubing the brake hardware to insure a Caliper doesn't stick and also measure your rotor thickness to make certain that you're within spec. Typically, these rotors will go through two sets of pads and then they need replacing. This wear is accelerated with the use of more agressive Track or Street/Track pads. Failure to do so will cause the pistons to expand too much and corrode which then acts to prematurely wear the seals requiring rebuild/replacement of the calipers. Runout should also be checked as well for maximum Braking efficiency and Pad wear. Failure to do these checks can be just as bad as not having the wheels properly torqued.

Changing Pads, while not Brain Surgery, is still Surgery and a certain amount of know-how is necessary to insure that both you, and the people you share the road with, remain safe...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Jim, all good stuff, thanks, and rest assured my car is well inspected. All POC events it has a full inspection by a qualified motorsports technician, as required. I see how easy it is to replace the rotors, also, so I'm looking forward to that, even though it is more money...

Where would you lube the brake hardware and what would you use to lube it?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote