View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #2466
Pdwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDobermann View Post
Well, not exactly the trip home that I wanted... Unfortunately, I chose a poor day to drive the car home from KC to Denver. It was torrential rain, and had about 30 miles left of fuel, so I turned off the cruise control and there was a substantial thump from the motor. I immediately thought "OMG! IMS bearing!" but then realized that it was just a massive misfire condition. CEL came on and I limped to gas up. The CEL went away after fueling and I went on my way, thinking that Boxsters didn't like running on fumes. About 30 miles later, same thing. So, I pulled off I-70 and sat there. I turned the ignition back on and the check oil level thing took about 10 minutes (?). CEL came right back. Western Kansas isn't a great place to get stuck, so I saw that I was close to an O'Reilly's (better than nothing) and limped off with the hazards flashing. The nice gal pulled the code (P0306 - Engine misfire). Rather than get stuck in Burlington, I chose to drive the rest of the way (also a blizzard approaching). Amazingly, the misfire seems to have gone away, but the CEL is still on.

Any ideas? Logic says something got very, very wet, and then dried off.
A bad coil pack comes to mind first
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote