View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
MikenOH

Garage
Wink Well, at least now you can make an informed..

decision. From what I've read on various sites, the replacement engines that Porsche has furnished for various reasons have held up very well, but I will yield to my learned collegues for more informed views on that subject.

MNBoxster posted:
"Yes, there were a FEW engines which got thebad motors. But, these typically failed in the first couple thousand miles and Porsche contacted the owners to deal with it, mainly replacing the engines. This was a serious defect in the engine and didn't take long to show up at all. The highest mileage failure I have seen due to a sleeved engine was like 8600 mi. This means they've all been dealt with and the issue has gone the way of SmallPox.."

You would think that Jim's comments on the sleeved engines would be right on the money, but I have just recently corresponded with a guy that posted on Pete's board that had a simlar fate--car built 10/98, original owner with 15K miles and the engine fails for no apparent reason without warning. Was it a sleeve failure?-who knows. It would take $$$ to determine what happened but it sure fits the profile. His dealer and the local PCNA guy say their is nothing they can do, so he was looking at $10K for a motor or selling the car for parts.

To quote him:
"Car is
>>> mine since it was delivered new in Dec 98. Car was already on its
>>> way from
>>> the factory when I got involved and the car was delivered to
>>> Pioneer/Porsche in San Diego. A true garage queen. several concurs
>>> and 2
>>> wash'n shine first places and only 14,850 until last week when the
>>> catastopic engine failure occured. We did a Porsche driving
>>> experience and
>>> one autocross since the car was new.

This message is about 2 months old.

Jim, maybe smallpox is making comeback....
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote