View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Any progress?

2005 saw a significant of a redesign of the engine, whereas the 2003 and 2004 are basically the same.

I expect that you already have this information from the 101 Projects book and the Pelican Parts tech article:
Quote:
You can swap in any replacement engine of the same displacement from 2003-08 without having to remap the DME. (I.E. a 2003 Boxster 2.7L with a blown motor can accept a 2005 2.7L engine with no remapping needed).
Could this vacuum pump note be part of the problem?
Quote:
Vacuum Pump - Starting in 2005, the Boxster is equipped with a vacuum pump that is powered off of the camshaft. This pump was added in order to provide the engine a more constant source of vacuum, which would be independent of the throttle position and other environmental conditions. When installing one of these vacuum-pump equipped engines into an earlier car, simply hook up the vacuum supply for the brake booster, and the secondary plenum resonance valve to this vacuum source.
Quote:
Engine Oil Dip Stick - 2005 and later Boxsters have no dipstick. Instead the oil level is monitored electronically. When installing one of the later-style M96 motors into an early car, there is typically a black plastic plug that covers the dipstick hole: install your old dipstick into this location. On the M97 motors, there is no mounting boss for the dipstick, so you will have to rely on the instrument gauge.